Full List: 7 Things You Should Know About Colombia’s Most Wanted Drug Lord, Otoniel
Ibom Focus brings to you 7 Things You Should Know About Colombia’s Most Wanted Drug Lord, Otoniel
Colombia’s biggest drug trafficker, Dairo Antonio Usuga popularly known as Otoniel, has been arrested by security forces on Saturday in a rural area in the Uraba region.
Here are 7 things you should know about the most-wanted drug trafficker:
1. Dairo Antonio Usuga was born on September 15, 1971, in Necocli, northwestern Colombia.
2. He was the seventh of nine children in a family that lived off the sale of cattle, pigs and poultry.
3. At 18, he joined the Popular Liberation Army, a Marxist guerrilla group that demobilised in 1991.
4. He took over the leadership of the drug trafficking business, Gulf Clan, previously known as the Usuga Clan, from his brother Juan de Dios, who was killed by police in 2012.
5. According to Colombia’s police anti-narcotics division chief, Jose Angel Mendoza, Otoniel “became leader by inspiring fear, and it is out of fear that he is respected.”
6. Colombia’s president Ivan Duque compared Otoniel’s arrest to the fall of Pablo Escobar, the cocaine baron killed by Colombian police in 1993.
7. A bounty of 800,000 dollars was placed on his head by the Colombian government, with the United States offering five million dollars.