Enough Is Enough; Arewa Leader Issues Threats Over Killing Of Northerners In Rivers State”

A self-acclaimed leader of the Arewa youths has threatened retaliation over the recent alleged killing of northern traders in parts of southern Nigeria, warning that failure by security agencies to prosecute those responsible could trigger reprisals.
In a video circulating online, the youth leader expressed anger over what he described as repeated attacks on northerners in Rivers and Enugu states.
“Very soon, we will avenge the killing of Northerners killed in Rivers State,” he said. “If our people are not brought to justice, we are going to retaliate.”
He alleged that northern youths had been killed in Port Harcourt and other locations but he did not provide verified casualty figures or specific details of the incidents.
Despite the threat, he urged northern youths to remain calm and allow law enforcement agencies to investigate. He also called on security agencies to act swiftly to prevent further escalation.
“We have Igbos living in Abuja. The majority of businesses in northern Nigeria are owned by Igbos, and they are living in peace,” he said, in remarks that appeared aimed at discouraging immediate reprisals.
The youth leader further claimed that prominent Ijaw figures in Port Harcourt had condemned the violence.
The Hausa community in Rivers State recently alleged that four of its members were killed during a protest targeting northerners at the Oil Mill Market in the Rumuokwurusi area of Port Harcourt.
The Chairman of the Hausa Community in Rivers State, Musa Saidu, had disclosed this while leading other northern leaders to assess the damage at the market. He said several shops belonging to northern traders were looted and vandalised.
“About four northern traders were killed during the protest at Oil Mill Market. I visited the area with some journalists and saw that many shops had been looted,” Saidu said.
He urged northern residents and traders to remain peaceful, stressing that they are law-abiding citizens engaged in legitimate businesses.
The unrest followed the killing of an indigene, Nchelem Samuel Festus, allegedly by a northern commercial motorcyclist in Igwuruta, Ikwerre Local Government Area.
Festus was accused of attempting to steal a motorcycle from a shop owned by northerners. During efforts to retrieve the motorcycle, an argument reportedly broke out, and the motorcyclist allegedly stabbed Festus. He later died from his injuries.
The February 10 incident sparked protests, with demonstrators accusing northern commercial motorcycle operators of criminal activities, including rape and kidnapping. Protesters blocked the Port Harcourt International Airport Road and demanded an immediate ban on commercial motorcycle operations by northern riders.
Tensions escalated again when a wheelbarrow pusher, identified as Zakara Afaaruwu, allegedly stabbed a trader from Benue State, Higightor Wenem, to death during a dispute over space at the Oil Mill Market.
The incident reportedly triggered renewed attacks on northern traders, with several businesses vandalised and looted.
The police confirmed Afaaruwu’s arrest and said he remains in custody pending investigation and possible prosecution.
However, reacting to claims that four northern traders were killed, Rivers State Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Grace Iringe-Koko, said she was unaware of any such fatalities.
“I’m not aware of any killing. I have already stated what happened during the protest,” she said.
